Thursday, May 5, 2011

Ubisoft Battle Tag

Ok, I'm very slow with this, but I'm hardly ever in tune with the whole laser tag side of things. I don't know why, it seems like a ton of fun.

Anyway, Ubisoft Battle Tag. It's a new system for laser tag games, that involves ammo, med kits, respawn points and health. You might say some of thes things have been implemented before, but from what i can gather, the med kits and ammo kits are separate units that you pick up, and "tag" under your laser tagger to reload. And, from what I gather, game stats can be recorded to a computer via some sort of a radio transmitter device called UbiConnect.


Stats wise, they claim ranges of 300m, or about 990 feet. Both Nerf AND paintball players would melt at the thought of getting that sort of distance out of their blasters or markers, and laser tag I can imagine being a whole lot more accurate than foam darts or paintballs. In fact, I kind of use Nerf as training for paintball, because the darts are SO inaccurate. I don't think they are releasing anything other than the pistol type laser tagger (or T-blaster, as they call it), so it might be hard to get steady shot.




Alas, there is the option of modification, of course. Take bazookafied for example, putting laser tag internal into Nerf shells, problem solved! sort of... I'm not too switched on when it comes to electronics, and I'm not sure how the internals of these are constructed, so I may have to wait till I get my hands on this system before  I can say with confidence that it can be done and your imagination can go nuts.


From what I see, I'm actually pretty excited about this, I haven't seen anything about this pop up on the tactical tag blog yet, so I'm also wondering what opinion will be given from a more hardcore laser tag player's perspective. At the end of the day, I'm a Nerfer and a paintball player, with the occasional blasting of vegetables out of cannons, so I can't realistically voice a loud opinion on anything laser tag, yet. have some pictures to finish off. For more info, hit http://battle-tag.us.ubi.com/index.php. -Rolley

Ammo Boxes, I'm assuming that the difference between the two is how much ammo they give
Med kits, again I assume the difference is how much health they give



2 comments:

  1. Our group hasn't bothered with Battle Tag thus far for the following reasons:
    1: Availability. It isn't on store shelves here in town yet, and I'd like to own a set of my own before looking into investing in it.
    2: Pricetag. Compared to the two systems we already use (Lazer Tag and Laser Challenge), it's by far the most expensive thing out there so far. It'd be a wallet-killer.
    3: Reviews. I haven't seen too many favorable reviews by fellow hardcore laser taggers about this. Connection issues getting out of range make me worry that our playing space would be limited. It also can only host 8 players right now... and since our group see's regular attendance between 25 and 35 players, this system wouldn't cut it.

    Just my thoughts on this new system. I'm waiting for the Lazer Tag Brand to come out with it's next system (which is all hush-hush right now).

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's some good points you got there, I hope we get some LTXs over here!

    ReplyDelete