Friday, June 14, 2013

Review: Nerf Elite Alpha Trooper

Arguably one of the most popular N-Strike series blaster to date has been the Alpha Trooper CS-18, anyone with a decent collection will tell you they have one or several of them kicking around. It hit shelves with a brand new 18 dart drum mag, touted slam-fire with shotgun style pump action grip and great looks. I was a little disappointed when Nerf released the Elite line without a variant of the Alpha Trooper in the line-up, but fast forward a few months and rumors began to surface of an Elite Alpha Trooper CS-12. Crisis averted!


The Alpha Trooper CS-12 is the Elite variant of the N-Strike Alpha Trooper, complete with Elite style blue and white colouration. Not much has changed on this blaster really, the only differences externally being the colour and the inclusion of a 12 dart straight mag instead of an 18 dart drum. The quality of the build is, as per usual from Nerf, a great standard. I am a little disappointed that nothing changed on the shell design though, a more comfortable priming grip or iron sights or even some rails would really compliment this blaster. I'd even go so far as to say Nerf could have added a unique stock and sold this blaster at a higher price, and they'd sell even more. But, I guess the original Alpha Trooper was really a minimalistic Raider, which caught the appeal of those who didn't like the size or fancy bits of the Raider.


Even though the Elite Alpha Trooper only features a top rail and a stock adapter as the platform for customisation, it does still look pretty good with some parts on. I like using the Stockade stock, and a Max Force Shadow Hawk scope looks cool when trimmed to fit. HINT HINT NERF SOME ELITE TOP RAIL ACCESSORIES ON YOUR BLASTERS WOULD BE GREAT. Is that too subtle?

Performance? well, this is an Australian grey trigger version, so performance is pretty pathetic, but fear not, since the rest of the world gets a decent spring in theirs, I decided to swap in a US Rampage spring to negate the detuning. Performance with a US spring is more impressive, 75 feet with an angle is on par with the rest of the Elites blasters. The slamfire is smooth and fast, but burns through darts quickly so the 12 dart mag does not last long. Internally, this blaster uses the same format as the Retaliator, except with slam-fire parts in the mix. I wouldn't mind seeing a brass breeched Elite Alpha Trooper in action, since the barrel seems to be a good length to deliver some great power. But even without complex mods, some decent power can be achieved with a few of mods like spring swap, AR removal and plunger head dead space filling.

Overall, it' great to see the original Alpha Trooper get the Elite treatment and gain the same performance increases as the Rampage and Retaliator, but I still think some add on parts out of the box would be a nice and welcome addition to an already decent blaster. But don't let that stop you from picking up this great unit. I picked mine up for a mere $14.50AU, which is ridiculously good value.  -Rolley


21 comments:

  1. There's actually almost no deadspace in an EAT plunger head. I checked, and the 'plus' shaped section is only about 2mm high, instead of the Retal's over 5mm high.
    As for the Tac Rail accessories, an Elite Pinpoint Sight is awesome on the EAT. But of course sourcing one is the hard part.
    Any mods planned for the EAT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do plan to mod this one but I'm not sure what path I'll take. I want to do a brass breech on an elite, but time and lack of a dremel always holds me back.

      If you happen to find an elite pps for sale, please do tell me, it'd give me so many more options for photos haha

      Delete
    2. I sure will, although I suspect both Singapore and New Zealand are out of stock of EPPS though.

      As for the brass breech, you could do it over a long time period. It's not an easy mod in any sense - a lot of cutting and precision required, and if you mess it up you're screwed. You don't explicitly need a dremel, but it certainly helps for the side cuts.
      My suggestion is if you're low on time, do one cut per day. Sure it'll take you a long time to finish, but this way you can put your entire daily effort into a single great cut, making sure its straight an sanded down.
      After a week or two, you'll end up with an extremely clean and good looking brass breech which hopefully fires really well.
      Design wise base it off a Longshot brass breech, and alter the dimensions for the EAT.

      Delete
    3. Thanks man. I'd be looking at doing a LS brass breech first since I have one spare, just as practice with measurements and aligning everything. I will have to work out some way to make a seal with the plunger tube at the breech end, whether I make my own o-ring seat or nest the end of the existing breech over some brass, I'm not really sure.

      Delete
    4. BBLS is a great blaster. Following http://modworks.blogspot.com.au/2010/03/nerf-longshot-brass-breech-mod-guide.html (SG Nerf's) you save all the self measurement and thought.
      Range wise it's fantastic. I've got a stock Longshot, stock Recon and stock old gen NF springs in my BBLS, and it's hitting 35m with heavy silis.
      For the EAT, I'd say just use the stock part for the seal, after punching out the AR and cleaning it out of course. Since Nerf has been kind enough to design it for us, might as well make use of it. That and you don't want the plunger tube hitting brass or anything sharp at high velocities, otherwise you'll end up with shreds of plunger tube. SG Nerf's Recon BB might be a good reference point for a BB'd EAT. http://www.modworks.blogspot.com.au/2010/05/nerf-recon-brass-breech-mod-guide.html

      Delete
  2. um dude behind street tag warfare, i've found that there have been Nerf retaliators at my local big w and ch33s3 said that they were originally boxed with "up to 15m" to avoid false advertising so does that mean they can indeed reach that far? because if so then there wasn't meant to be tooooooooooooo much difference in power and same should go for the EAT. and have done a range test for the aussie grey trigger retaliator?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 15m is a bit under 50 feet, the grey trigger retaliatory, rampage and EAT can all reach those ranges with a decent angle. the orange trigger versions can hit 75 feet, also with an angle, but the only difference is that they have a stronger spring. If you know how to do spring swaps, you can order an orange mod works spring or black tactical spring that fits straight in and reaches even further ranges. In short, Yes there is a notifiable difference in ranges, but the only difference between the two versions is the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no I meant that lots of Nerf retaliator boxes are showing up in Australia and I bought one and fired it at my palm: it hurt. that's what I was asking about. Is Australia starting to get stronger Nerf elite blasters and does this have anything to do with the Nerf centurion getting released with in Australia with an up to 23m label.

      Delete
    2. I did see those myself yesterday, and I'm personally not sure. I found rough cuts with the 15m logo and retaliators with the 20m logo. Quite possibly they may have started using a stronger spring, or they've just revised the range claims.

      Delete
  4. Hey, does the elite trooper shoot further than the cs-18?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the elite alpha trooper shoots further than the original Orange alpha trooper.

      Delete
    2. I mean which one would shoot further if they both shot elite darts

      Delete
    3. Elite versions of n-strike blasters are essentially the same shell but with a direct plunger upgrade instead of the old reverse plunger system, which means yes, it does shoot further whether you compare streamlines or elites or any other aftermarket dart.

      Delete
    4. i find that the alpha trooper shoots further than my elite version with streamlines but with elite darts, the elite blaster is superior

      Delete
  5. hi, im new to nerf, would you say I get this or the AT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say go for the elite alpha trooper over the original alpha trooper.

      Delete
  6. dude post a picture with the elite alpha trooper but with the 18 dart drum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing, I'll do a big pic spam post some time this week.

      Delete
    2. yeah like the other guy said but also with the stockade stock

      Delete
  7. would you use the old 18 dart drum mag OR the Elite 18 dart stick mag on your EAT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the 18 dart stick mags more reliable, but I still prefer the drum because it's more compact.

      Delete