Monday, December 5, 2011

Striking fear in to your opponent...

You could probably get arrested for being a terrorist in that outfit...
Yep, that's a Nerf gun. And yes, that's a real holographic sight. and a real radio. Yes, we do sometimes take things way too far, but it's all in good fun. This was the setup for Carlisle at Saturday's 3 vs.3 mini battles. He has about 6 mags available in the front of his vest, 5 mini vortex "grenades" at the back and can communicate freely from anywhere in the area of the game with his brother, thanks to the radio. Couple that with the modified Nerf Longshot and his ridiculously good flanking skills, and coming up against him becomes frightening. Out of all of the games on Saturday, I don't think there was a single moment where I wasn't thinking "Now where the hell have those twins gone now?". This was because I could hear their radios going off from behind cover, as they plotted their way to victory way more often than not. Then suddenly out of nowhere, you've been successfully flanked and tagged by Carlisle, landing multiple darts on you from more than 50 or 60 feet away before you even have a chance to realize what's just happened.

I guess the point of this post is to point out that in games of Nerf, it's not always about the blaster. If you can plan better than your opponent and kit yourself out (even if you have to go overboard) you can outclass anyone, even if they're on a mounted Vulcan and are spraying darts at you like a rain of foam death. Unfortunately for me, this time around I was the one on the Vulcan being trigger happy. It was a fun day, and the 3vs.3 battles were fast and exciting, giving me a chance to try out a fer more of my mods. My volted Stampede went well, and likewise the Alpha Trooper (that I still haven't finished off... part 3 will be posted one day...) but next time I'm going to have to think of something to have up my sleeve...

3 comments:

  1. Nice Setup! Just make sure you don't get in trouble with local law enforcement! It's all too easy for trigger happy cops to overlook any sign of blaze orange on your equipment. Don't get tazed, bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I hear ya. This one was private property, which is pretty much safe. The law is pretty strict here though so most public war organizers have banned anything military coloured or realistic out of safety. Hmm... This could be a topic for a blog post on a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is me. Are you saying we shouldn't have driven around in a car to flank Rolley? I was in full gear. We scared some kids. I really was scared of getting shot in a misunderstanding with cops. My favorite gun is full black Longshot with a plastic 20mm weaver rail with a holographic sight with 3x magnifier scope on a FTS mount. Just a bit realistic. But I do want to get tazed. I love nerf!

    ReplyDelete