Wednesday, July 13, 2011

STW modified Nerf Longshot

I've always liked the Nerf Longshot, they have so much potential as a powerful marksman blaster and the cosmetic mods for these is absolutely endless. Almost every Nerf collector either has a Longshot or has a few of them. I haven't done a review on a Nerf Longshot yet, because there are plenty of reviews already out there, the reviews by SG NerfUrban Taggers, and Nerf mods and reviews are all very good reviews. But, I will post the finished (for now) result of modding my Longshot.


So here it is, a moderately modified Nerf Longshot that hits 80+ feet and is fairly accurate, with custom paint. Internally, the mods are actually quite basic. All I have really done for performance is drill the air restrictor out and stretch the stock spring a bit. I did originally add a Nitefinder spring for more power, and ranges were about 100 feet, but it was difficult to cock if you were in a hurry and it wasn't very accurate, not to mention the strain on the internals was enough to damage parts. So for the sake of having a reliable, accurate blaster I sacrificed the extra range and took out the Nitefinder spring. Other than that, I removed the clip lock and trigger lock as I normally do with my other modded blasters. The operation is nice and smooth, and I'm still able to out range almost any other blaster, so I'm quite happy with the internals the way they are.


Externally, I didn't change anything major other than paint and a custom removable barrel. For the paint I used a base of flat black and layered up red and white stripes without a stencil, because I wanted the colours to fade in to each other. The custom barrel can be removed, just like a Nerf barrel. All I did was take the barrel adapter piece from an old Nerf barrel and grind it down until it fit snug in to a spare length of PVC I had, and used PVC plumber's glue to make the bond. Add a few coats of flat black and it was done. The wide aperture of the barrel means it doesn't affect the performance at all, other than sometimes stopping darts from gathering too much tail spin, or "waggle".

Overall, I like this blaster a lot, The ranges are great, and so is the accuracy. But the bolt action type loading means that it is restricted to a marksman or sniper role, and doesn't fair all that well in fast assault situations where a slamfire, semi auto or full auto blasters excel.

2 comments:

  1. Thats a Seriously good Paint job, I also found that A grey base with black and white camo stripes gives out a good solid navy feel and look.

    +Love this site and your reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks a lot! I'm glad this blog is starting to build a solid readership!

    ReplyDelete