Friday, April 1, 2011

Gearing Up for Paintball: Part 1

If you live in Australia (particularly Queensland), then this ongoing article is for you. This article is about 2 of my friends and I getting what we need to start playing paintball practice days and comps, without the need for equipment hire or paying insane prices for ammo, but mainly to own our own markers customized to the way want.

So, where do I start? from the very beginning i guess. I first played paintball a few years ago, and loved it. at first i was a bit worried about how much it might hurt, but once I started playing it was great! I got hit a fair few times, and the only one that really stung was one to the inner thigh, but to be honest I have had far worse happen with my other sport, BMX. It did hurt a lot, but it was nothing compared to slipping a pedal and having it tear up your shin. I have massive scarring on my shins from BMX, but i still ride anyway, so a bruise that goes away and stings a bit its nothing. So I was hooked.
A Tippmann X7, most likely my choice of marker.
Problem? you need to hold a class A firearm licence to be able to own your own marker in Queensland, and there are a ton of hoops to go through. First, you need to sit a firearm safety course, next you need a valid reason to hold a firearms licence. Being a member of a field or range is a valid reason, so once you become a member you can apply for a firearm licence. Then, you need to apply for a permit to aquire for each marker.

Since the safety course comes before everything else, that's what we will be doing on sunday (weather permitting), so that part of the tale will be part 2. stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment